This custom map contains everything listed in my Essential Amsterdam Travel Tips book… PLUS MUCH, MUCH MORE!
- 113 listings with location, website, phone number, reviews and custom descriptions.
- Plan great food experiences.
- Devise custom walking tours linking together the sights you want to see.
- Discover that perfect souvenir.
- Let GPS guide you to your next destination.
- Find random practical necessities like English bookstores, laundromats and gelato.
- Know exactly where you are and what you’re looking at.
Restaurants, sights, shopping, attractions, activities, this is my “Best of Amsterdam” map that extends far beyond what I write about in Essential Amsterdam Travel Tips. My Essential Amsterdam Map ties together the city’s top attractions with its lesser-known haunts. You won’t find any tourist traps here! (Sorry, Heineken.)
To make finding stuff easier, this digital map is organized into
- Attractions (museums, churches)
- Activities (parks, shopping, rentals)
- Food + Drink + Nightlife (restaurants, street food, bars, breweries, event spaces, live music)
- Cannabis Coffeeshops (standalone layer, so easy to toggle off if this doesn’t interest you)
Every listing contains a custom description about why it’s a Amsterdam “essential” and what you can expect. Simply use Google Maps’ Directions function to find the fastest route by foot or public transportation. Speaking of transportation, the map includes all major subway, bus and tram stations.
You can download and use the map even when you don’t have wifi or cellular data available.
Oh, and it’s super easy to use: From your computer, log into your Google account, download the zip folder after purchasing (you are entitled to five separate downloads with no expiration date), open the KMZ file and then upload to your personal Google Maps account.
One last note: Unlike tourist maps and some guidebooks, no one paid for placement on this map. I don’t offer paid inclusions on my maps. Rest assured, these are earnest recommendations well worth your time and money. The map is checked and updated annually.
***UPDATED IN 2020***
How to Use the Map
Tutorial coming soon!
Each section (Museums, etc.) is, in the mapping parlance of our times, a “layer.” You can toggle layers on or off based on which you’re looking for. For example, if you’re hungry, turn off the other layers and leave only the Food + Drink layer on.
How to Install the Map
Step One: Upload & save map file from a desktop/laptop computer:
- Unzip the downloaded folder called “Essential Amsterdam Map.kmz.zip”
- On your computer, sign in to Google My Maps. (If you have more than one Google account, ensure you sign into the same one you use for Google Maps on your phone or tablet.)
- Open or create a map.
- In the map legend, click Add layer.
- Give the new layer a name.
- Under the new layer, click Import.
- Upload the unzipped file called “Essential Amsterdam Map.kmz,” then click Select.
- Map features are added automatically and saved to your “My Maps.”
Step Two: Access saved map file from a phone/tablet using the Google Maps app:
- Follow directions above to save the map to your Google Maps account.
- Open your Google Maps app and make sure you’re signed into the same account you used to upload the map on your computer.
- Tap Saved from the bottom menu.
- Tap Maps from the top menu.
- Tap “Essential Amsterdam Map”
Step Three: Notify me about mistakes, changes, closures:
- Find something that ain’t right? Contact me immediately. In return, I’ll send you a free book or map of your choice.
My free newsletter will help you skip crowds and experience Europe's rich culture like a savvy local. Sign up today and receive two free books: 10 Perfect Days in Paris and Paris for €10.
Authentic European travel is just a click away.